TWIG Media Lab took some great photos and video of our Original Writing Competition Awards Celebration on November 1 at the Utah Cultural Celebration Center.
Here’s a link to the photos:
Here’s the video:
Established in 1958, the competition identifies and awards Utah writers for works of fiction, nonfiction, and poetry in the form of short stories, essays, poems, and full-length manuscripts for readers of all ages. Submissions must be original works. They cannot be published or accepted for publication at the time of entry. Manuscripts will be reviewed in a blind process by five to seven judges selected from outside of Utah.
Past award winners have included Ron Carlson, former Utah Poet Laureates David Lee, Ken Brewer, and Katharine Coles, current Utah Poet Laureate Lance Larsen, Pam Houston, Lyman Hafen, Margaret I. Rostkowski, John Bennion, Scott Cairns, Rod Carney, and Susan Howe. There is no entry fee for the competition, and it is open to all Utah residents.
The 2014 competition is closed, and the winners are listed below. The 2015 competition guidelines will be posted in the spring, and the competition will open in June. Until then, please consult the 2014 guidelines as a reference.
Category A: Novel
- First place: ECKSDOT by J Washburn (Provo)
- Second place: Fragments of an Inner Architecture by Gene Washington (Logan)
- Honorable Mention: RedRedRedRed by Eric Howerton (Ogden)
Category B: Creative Nonfiction
- First place: An American (Homeless) in Paris by Christian Ames (Salt Lake)
- Second place: Befriending Laura Mae by Leisa Mukai (Salt Lake)
- Honorable Mention: Dancing Bird’s Apprentice by Patty Willis (Salt Lake)
Category C: Book of Poems
- First place: Eve’s Child by Markay Brown (St. George)
- Second place: Cold Blessings by Maximillian Werner (Salt Lake)
Category D: Juvenile Book
- First place: Keeping it Down by Lisa Roylance (Cedar Hills)
- Second place: Sula Eats the Sea by James Ure (Salt Lake)
- Honorable Mention: The Sun is on Fire! by Shane Williams (Washington)
Category E: Poetry
- First place: “Inside Wolf, Grandmother Becomes a Dancer” by Shanan Ballam (Logan)
- Second place: “Bottle Cherries” by Candy Fowler (St. George)
- Honorable Mention: “Pretending to be interviewed, the monster gets choked up, tells the cameraman to shut the damn thing off.” by Natalie Young (Cedar City)
Category F: Short Story
- First place: “Adsila, Wyoming” by Iris Moulton (Salt Lake)
- Second place: “Two Shoes” by John Pace (Salt Lake)
- Honorable Mention: “For My Father II” by Jordan Floyd (West Jordan)
Category G: Narrative Nonfiction/Personal Essay
- First place: “Hourglass Man” by Aaron Allen (Orem)
- Second place: “Living the Dream” by Joshua Harms (Centerville)
Contact Alyssa Hickman Grove at email@example.com or 801.236.7548.