Recitation and performance are major trends in poetry. There has been a recent resurgence of poetry as an oral art form, as seen in the slam poetry movement and the immense popularity of hip-hop music. Poetry Out Loud builds on that momentum by inviting the dynamic aspects of slam poetry, spoken word and theater into the English and theatre class. The National Endowment for the Arts and the Poetry Foundation have partnered with the Utah Arts & Museums Literature Program to support Poetry Out Loud, which encourages Utah’s youth to learn about great poetry through memorization and performance.
- For full details on this exciting national poetry recitation contest, visit www.poetryoutloud.org.
- For more details regarding Utah’s Poetry Out Loud activities, contact The POL Team via email or call 801.533.5760.
2014 Poetry Out Loud
- Registration is now open.
- State finals are March 12, 2014 at Westminster College in Salt Lake City (exact location TBA).
- Schools must complete school competitions by February 7, 2014.
- Regional competitions must be completed by February 21, 2014.
- For more information email the POL team at POL@utah.gov or call 801.533.5760.
Congratulations to Devin Jones for his 4th Place Regional finish at the National Poetry Out Loud competition in Washington, D.C.!
On March 12, 2013, six competitors from around the state competed in the Poetry Out Loud State final. These high school students competed in individual school competitions (consisting of more than 3,600 students), then a regional/preliminary competition to reach the state level. Performing three poems chosen from the extensive POL database, students were judged on criteria such as articulation, understanding, physical presence, level of difficulty, and accuracy. Judges were Todd Petersen, Paula Fowler, Jennifer Tonge, and Kim Burningham. Special performances were given by Poet Laureate Lance Larsen, poets Mike Dorrell and Willy Palomo, and musicians Daniel Day Trio.
Devin Jonesfrom West Jordan High School emerged the winner, receiving a $200 cash award and $500 for poetry books for his school. At the national competition in Washington, D.C. on April 29th-30th, Devin represented Utah in the Region 3 competition, where he earned a 4th-place finish. When interviewed, he said he had never performed before Poetry Out Loud and wanted to “expand my horizons with my poetry” by choosing three new poems for the national competition.
Tony Madrid from East Hollywood High School came in second at the state competition, receiving a $100 cash award and $200 for poetry books for his school.
For more information on the national competition, please click HERE.
Watch Videos of the Six 2013 Finalists
- View videos of three finalists from Judge Memorial Catholic High School
- View student production of POL at Judge Memorial Catholic High School in 2013
- 2012 – MarKaye Hassan, Logan High School (placed 3rd in National Competition)
- 2011 – Shannon McCullam, Box Elder High School, Brigham City
- 2010 – Caroline Liston, Box Elder High School, Brigham City
- 2009 – Janna Tessman, East High School, Salt Lake City