The National Endowment for the Arts and the Poetry Foundation have partnered with the Utah Arts & Museums Arts Education Program to support Poetry Out Loud, which encourages Utah’s youth to learn about great poetry through memorization and performance. We are now accepting registrations for this year’s Poetry Out Loud.
2015 Utah Poetry Out Loud Finals
March 11, 2015 7:00 p.m.
Jewett Center for the Performing Arts
- For full details on the national poetry recitation competition, visit www.poetryoutloud.org.
- For details regarding Utah’s Poetry Out Loud activities, contact the POL Team via email or call 801.533.5760.
- View the list of regional competitions to find the name of your coordinator, their email address and competition date.
2014 Poetry Out Loud
Click HERE to hear an interview on KCPW radio with winner Ashlei Havili and POL administrator Jean Tokuda Irwin.
Ashlei Havili of American Fork High School took home top honors from the state finals for the Poetry Out Loud National Recitation Contest, presented by Utah Arts & Museums on Wednesday, March 12, 2014, at co-host Westminster College’s Vieve Gore Concert Hall in the Jewett Center for the Performing Arts. Havili received $200 and travel expenses to represent Utah in the national championship April 29 and 30 in Washington, D.C. Her school received a $500 stipend for the purchase of poetry books. Runner-up Nick Markham of Judge Memorial Catholic High School received $100, with $200 for his school library. Poetry Out Loud awards a $20,000 college scholarship to the national champion.
Approximately 5,042 students from 43 high schools and 16 school districts across Utah participated in Poetry Out Loud activities and competed in school and regional competitions. Regional competitions were held in Gunnison, Provo, Roosevelt, St. George, South Jordan and Woods Cross. At the Vieve Gore Concert Hall, students recited works they selected from an anthology of nearly 600 classic and contemporary poems.
Utah Champion Ashlei Havili, American Fork High School, American Fork
Utah Runner-up Nick Markham, Judge Memorial Catholic High School, Salt Lake City
Mitchell Asper, North Sevier High School, Salina
Mason Duncan II, Union High School, Roosevelt
Emily Woolsey, Beaver High School, Beaver
- 2013 – Devin Jones, West Jordan High School, West Jordan
- 2012 – MarKaye Hassan, Logan High School (placed 3rd in National Competition)
- 2011 – Shannon McCullam, Box Elder High School, Brigham City
- 2010 – Caroline Liston, Box Elder High School, Brigham City
- 2009 – Janna Tessman, East High School, Salt Lake City