The Mountain West Arts Conference is designed to help individuals and organizations in the arts community access essential resources and create community connections throughout Utah and the Mountain West. It is also part of a long-term effort to sustain the creative industry by providing opportunities, education, tools, information and resources that serve all contributors to the arts.
Mountain West Arts Conference 2014
Thanks to all who attended the 8th annual Mountain West Arts Conference. Because of your support, this is our fourth sold-out year. Mark your calendar for next year’s conference: Thursday, May 7, 2015, when we anticipate another great day of arts, networking, and professional development.
In the meantime, explore links, notes, photos, and information on the sessions with these post-conference resources.
Conference Videos and Photos
Here’s the MWAC video:
Click the photo to see the photo album:
Utah Cultural Celebration Center
Our friends at the Utah Cultural Celebration Center are creating a new path for the future – planning ahead for programs, developing a foundation to build more community support, and finishing construction on their facility through a public/private partnership. They would appreciate your feedback in a short survey at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JQJ9P3Z.
State of the Arts
Changing Tide: Lifelong Learning in the Arts
Pencils, Paint, Poppies, Puddles and Pine Cones
- Utah Arts & Museums roster of teaching artists (roster artists are indicated with the red “swoosh”)
Art of the Rural
Savannah Barrett, Brian Cottam, Maria Sykes
- Utah Arts & Museums’ Nonprofit Arts Organization Toolkit (scroll to “Creative Placemaking” and “Rural Arts” sections
Navigating the Utah Arts & Museums Grants System – Insider Tips
Laurie Baefsky, Wendi Hassan
To Market We Go: When Programs Become Marketing Strategies
Renée Huang, Brian Jorgensen, Chris Purdie, Shon Taylor
- Shon Taylor – Happy Accidents Project
- Utah Arts & Museums’ Nonprofit Arts Organization Toolkit (scroll to “Marketing” and “Audience Development”)
Persuasive Poets Playfully Penning Poems Placed on Paper
- Video of a Bite-Size Poem reading by Lance Larsen and information on how to request a Poet Laureate reading or event attendance
Early Starts: Youth Leaders in Arts Engagement
Virginia Pearce, Sahana & Sanjana Kargi, Isaac Linares, Darci Ramirez, George Relyea
- Mondays in the Park (Sahana & Sanjana will be performing at Mondays in the Park this summer. Email Jbowcutt@utah.gov and ask to join the performing arts newsletter or revisit this page for Mondays in the Parks updates as they are announced)
Individual Donors: Raising Friends, Raising Funds
- Utah Arts & Museums’ Nonprofit Arts Organization Toolkit (scroll to “Grants & Fundraising”)
Local Arts Agency Summit: Convening Utah’s Local Arts Agency Leaders
Nancy Boskoff, Victoria Bourns
- Salt Lake City’s Zoo, Arts & Parks Local Arts Agency Advancement (lots of LAA resources)
- Utah Arts & Museums Local Arts Agencies (list of Utah LAAs & LAA designation agreement)
Stop Rearranging Deck Chairs: Building Sustainable ‘Mission Models’ for the Arts
- Engaging Matters – Doug Borwick’s blog
A Close-Up Look at Design in Everyday (______) Experience
Thinking Aloud, Thinking BIG: Exploring a Sustained, Inclusive Utah Arts Education Initiative Based Upon a Collective Impact Model
- The National Assembly of State Arts Agencies’ joint statement “Arts Education for America’s Students, A Shared Endeavor”
Matter by Mattering: Becoming a Vital Community Resource
A Life in the Arts
Anne Cullimore Decker, Craig Jessop, Bonnie Phillips, Afton Wilkins
The Governor’s Leadership in the Arts Awards are presented annually in conjunction with the Mountain West Arts Conference. The awards recognize those qualities that advance the arts for the people and communities in our state and are Utah’s highest honor in the arts.
We congratulate the 2014 Governor’s Leadership in the Arts Awards recipients.
- Spy Hop Productions – Educational Leadership in the Arts Award
- City of St. George – Community Leadership in the Arts Award
- Shirley Ririe – Individual Leadership in the Arts Award
- Timpanogos Storytelling Institute – Organizational Leadership in the Arts Award
We gratefully acknowledge our 2014 Governor’s Leadership in the Arts Awards Table Sponsors:
Contact Alyssa Hickman Grove, firstname.lastname@example.org or 801.236.7548 for information about media sponsorship.
Contact Jason Bowcutt or call 801.236.7554