Historic preservation and planning work hand in hand.
Proper planning is essential for successful preservation programs, and preservation can make a good plan better.
See these links below for information on how to integrate preservation into your community planning.
- Utah Preservation Planning Guide
The Utah State Historic Preservation Office’s guide to approaching local preservation planning activities.
- Working with City Councils and Planning Commissions
Some great ideas.
- Policy Guide on Historic and Cultural Resources
The American Planning Association’s guide to historic and cultural resources policy.
- Preservation Planning Standards and Guidelines
The Secretary of the Interior’s standards and guidelines for preservation planning.
- County Resource Management Planning
Information and a template for county resource management planning for historic resources (from the Governor’s Office of Planning and Budget).
- Downzoning and Historic Preservation
The Utah State Historic Preservation Office’s statement on downzoning and historic preservation.
- Powers of Utah Counties, Cities, and Towns
By statute, local governments are given the power to protect historical areas and sites, and to ensure proper development and utilization of lands and areas adjacent to historical areas and sites.