Explore the elements of running a successful program for children and teens including presenting library programs for children and young adults, developing children’s and young adult materials collections, and how to do reader’s advisory, book talks, and school visits/tours of the library.
About Basic UPLIFT
The Utah State Library offers the popular core courses required to meet the personnel standard required for public library certification under Standards for Utah Public Libraries.
Library directors and key personnel who do not have formal training in library science may participate in basic certification training which includes introductory coursework in core areas:
- Youth Services explores the elements of running a successful program for children and teens including presenting library programs for children and young adults, developing children’s and young adult materials collections, and using the stages of childhood and adolescent development to guide your programs. Spring 2014
- Collection Development teaches the principles of selection of library materials and standard practices involved in building and promoting collections. Fall 2014
- Technology includes things the librarian needs to know to keep computer services up and running. It includes computer security, wireless access issues and solutions, technical support that the librarian can do, and when to call an IT person for help. Spring 2015
- Reference brings the skills needed to be an effective provider of reference and information services. Emphasis is on reference services, the reference interview, online searching strategies including Pioneer, and sources of information. Fall 2015
- Library Administration covers the fundamentals of public library administration, the need to integrate planning, budgeting, the basics of personnel management and policy development. Spring 2016
- Cataloging/Acquisitions/Technical Services explains how to create accurate bibliographic records and standard resources used in catalog work: Dewey Decimal Schedules, AACR2 Rules, and MARC Records; also basic acquisitions and technical services functions. Fall 2016
For more information or assistance contact:Colleen Eggett
(801) 715-6776 or (800) 662-9150 (Utah toll-free)