Markers and Monuments Database



Rec. Center for the Utah State Hospital

RECREATION CENTER - UTAH STATE HOSPITAL Built in 1936-37, the Recreation Center at the Utah State Hospital is one of over 230 Public Works buildings constructed in Utah under various New Deal programs during the Depression years of the 1930s and 40s'. The construction of Public Works buildings, of which only 130 are extant and well preserved, not only offered temporary work relief, but also provided long-term benefits in the form of improved facilities for a variety of local public programs. The types of buildings constructed included public schools, county courthouses, city halls, libraries, National Guard armories, and a variety of others. Plans for the Recreation Center were worked up by Lavar S. Morris, professor in landscape architecture at B.Y.U., who also supervised the construction by WPA workers. The center was to be the nucleous of an expansive recreational area for patients at the hospital, but the creation of such a facility never advanced beyond the completion of this structure. N-925 Marker placed in 1987

Site Information
Location: Utah State Hospital
PROVO
UTAH County

On hill, on grounds of Hospital on W. wall of building

Marker Information
Placed By: Utah State Historical Society
Date Placed: 1987
Materials: Permaloy
Organization Comments: N-925
Marker Condition: Excellent

Monument Information
Constructed By: Utah State Historical Society
Condition: Unknown

Additional Information
Surveyor's Name: Kate Wacker
Surveyor's Organization: USHS
Date Surveyed: 1995-10-10