Markers and Monuments Database



Kearns - St. Ann's Orphanage

(Plaque A) KEARNS - ST. ANN'S ORPHANAGE This eclectic Chateauesque style building was constructed in 1899 by the Roman Catholic church. It was designed by Carl M. Neuhausen, architect of the Thomas Kearns Mansion and the Cathedral of the Madeleine, both located on South Temple Street. Bishop Lawrence Scanlan of the newly formed Salt Lake City Diocese began acquiring land for the orphanage but encountered financial problems. Jennie Judge Kearns, wife of mining magnate and U.S. Senator Thomas Kearns, donated $55,000 to purchase the land and cover the entire cost of construction. The Kearns-St. Ann's Orphanage, operated by the Sisters of the Holy Cross, served the social, religious, and educational needs of many children for over fifty years. The children shared responsibility in the total operation of the facility, with the exception of accounts and records. The orphanage was converted to a parochial school in 1954, officially known as St. Ann's School, and had an initial enrollment of 240 students from kindergarten to fourth grade. The Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word assumed leadership of the school at that time. Each year thereafter an additional grade was added until all eight grades were included in the school. In anticipation of the school's restoration in the 1990s and to symbolize its link with the past, it was renamed Kearns-St. Ann School. (Plaque B: Bronze, 12" x 18") 1891 1953 To the Sisters of the Holy Cross whose devotion to St. Ann's inspired in little children the one and only hope A M D G Placed here by the descendants of the late Senator and Mrs. Thomas Kearns

Site Information
Location: 430 E 2100 South
SALT LAKE CITY , 84106
SALT LAKE County

At entrance on stairs

Marker Information
Placed By: Utah State Historical Society
Date Placed: 1992
Materials: Permaloy
Marker Condition: Excellent

Monument Information
Constructed By: Utah State Historical Society
Condition: Excellent

Additional Information
Surveyor's Name: S. Worthington/E. Hunter
Surveyor's Organization: DUP Liberty Salt Lake
Date Surveyed: 1995-10-06