Markers and Monuments Database

Leroy E. Cowles Building

LEROY E. COWLES BUILDING Leroy E. Cowles, sixth president of the University of Utah served Utah education his entire professional life, following his education at the University of Chicago and his PhD studies at the University of California. He taught high school in Heber City, Ogden and Price before joining the Education Faculty at the University in 1914. His presidency, 1941-46, spanned the difficult World War II years when the University was greatly effected by the war effort. Classes were added in military science, economics and philosophy of war and programs began in Army pre-flight, Navy V-1 and R.O.T.C. One of the far-reaching academic achievements of the period was expansion of the medical program into a four-year medical school. This building is one of the first three constructed on this east bench campus. It opened in 1900 as the Library Building but was only partially completed. Later the Liberal Arts Departments were located here and it was affectionaly known as the "L" building. From 1951-1975 the Mathmatics Department was housed here. Since 1975 the Communications Department has been principle occupant of this landmark. In ceremonies sponsored by the alumni association on May 2, 1980, the building was officially named for LeRoy E Cowles.

Site Information

In front of Cowles Building, Presidents Circle

Marker Information
Placed By: Not Available
Marker Condition: Unknown
Marker Description: Picture of Leroy E. Cowles in oval

Monument Information
Description: Plaque on post
Constructed By: Not Available
Condition: Excellent

Additional Information
Surveyor's Name: Kate Wacker
Surveyor's Organization: USHS
Date Surveyed: 1995-10-03