The National Endowment for the Arts and the Poetry Foundation have partnered with the Utah Arts & Museums Arts Education Program to support Poetry Out Loud, which encourages Utah’s youth to learn about great poetry through memorization and performance.
- For details regarding Utah’s POL activities, email email@example.com or call 801-236-7557.
- For full details on the national poetry recitation competition, visit www.poetryoutloud.org.
2016 Poetry Out Loud
Tessa Thornley of Bear River High School took home top honors from the state finals for the Poetry Out Loud National Recitation Contest, presented by Utah Arts & Museums on Wednesday, March 16, 2016, at co-host Westminster College’s Vieve Gore Concert Hall in the Jewett Center for the Performing Arts. Thornley received $200 and travel expenses to represent Utah in the national championship May 2-4 in Washington, D.C. Her school received a $500 stipend for the purchase of poetry books. Runner-up Serena Hawatmeh of Juan Diego Catholic High School received $100, with $200 for her school library. Poetry Out Loud awards a $20,000 college scholarship to the national champion.
Approximately 4,616 students from 35 high schools across Utah participated in Poetry Out Loud activities and competed in school and regional competitions. Regional competitions were held in Brigham City, Gunnison, Provo, St. George, Salt Lake City, and South Jordan. At the Vieve Gore Concert Hall, students recited works they selected from an anthology of nearly 600 classic and contemporary poems.
- 2015 – Sadie Merkley, Box Elder High School, Brigham City
- 2014 – Ashlei Havili, American Fork High School, American Fork
- 2013 – Devin Jones, West Jordan High School, West Jordan
- 2012 – MarKaye Hassan, Logan High School (placed 3rd in National Competition)