The National Endowment for the Arts and the Poetry Foundation have partnered with the Utah Arts & Museums Arts Education Program to support Poetry Out Loud, which encourages Utah’s youth to learn about great poetry through memorization and performance.
- Registration closes on January 31, 2018.
- For details regarding Utah’s POL activities, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 801-236-7557.
- For full details on the national poetry recitation competition, visit www.poetryoutloud.org.
2017 Poetry Out Loud
Ben Engel of Skyline High School took home top honors from the state finals for the Poetry Out Loud National Recitation Contest, presented by Utah Arts & Museums on Wednesday, March 15, 2017, at co-host Westminster College’s Vieve Gore Concert Hall in the Jewett Center for the Performing Arts. Engel received $200 and travel expenses to represent Utah in the national championship April 25-26 in Washington, D.C. His school received a $500 stipend for the purchase of poetry books. Runner-up Cody Howell of North Sanpete High School received $100, with $200 for his school library. Poetry Out Loud awards a $20,000 college scholarship to the national champion.
Approximately 32 high schools, 4,113 students, and 90 teachers around the state participated in Poetry Out Loud activities and competed in school and region competitions held in Brigham City, Gunnison, Provo, St. George, Salt Lake City, and Ogden. At the Vieve Gore Concert Hall, students recited works they selected from an anthology of nearly 600 classic and contemporary poems.
- 2016 – Tessa Thornley, Bear River High School, Garland
- 2015 – Sadie Merkley, Box Elder High School, Brigham City
- 2014 – Ashlei Havili, American Fork High School, American Fork
- 2013 – Devin Jones, West Jordan High School, West Jordan
- 2012 – MarKaye Hassan, Logan High School (placed 3rd in National Competition)