Skip to content
Secondary Content

Category Archives: DHA

Circleville Massacre Memorial

In April 1851, Mormon settlers in Circleville, a small hamlet in central Utah Territory, slit the throats of as many as 30 men, women, and children belonging to the Paiute Koosharem band. The massacre happened during the Black Hawk War because of unfounded fears by the settlers that the band posed a threat.

Despite being the worst atrocity committed against Native Americans in Utah, the massacre is not well known. Circleville residents—none original descendants of the perpetrators—do not much discuss it. The massacre is hardly mentioned in general histories of the state, and even the Paiute people know little of what happened to their ancestors.

That will begin to change, however, when the victims will be memorialized with a new memorial in Circleville. The memorial will provide a solemn place of contemplation and commemoration to honor the victims of one of Utah history’s saddest episodes.

A dedication ceremony for the new memorial is scheduled for April 22 at 11 a.m. The brief ceremony will be held at Memorial Park (Main Street and 100 East) in Circleville. Speakers include representatives of the Paiute Koosharem band, town of Circleville, LDS Church history department, and Utah Division of State History.

The memorial has become a reality because of the efforts of the Paiute Tribal Council, Utah Division of State History, town of Circleville officials, LDS Church Historical Department, Utah Westerners, and a number of independent historians who felt compelled to band together and give proper recognition to the slain.

Additional Background Information on the Circleville Massacre

The massacre occurred in an atmosphere of fear and conflict as the “Black Hawk War” led to violence among settlers and native peoples in many areas of Utah. Late in 1865, some Utes raided the town of Circleville, killing four citizens. In early 1866, ​Parowan militia officers decided to “take in all straggling Indians in the vicinity”—Paiutes included—eventually requesting several to come into Fort Sanford, where they were questioned. The militia targeted Paiute Indians due to paranoia and distrust, believing that they had allied with the Utes.

On April 21, an express sent from Fort Sanford to Circleville stated that two formerly friendly Paiutes had shot and wounded a member of the Utah militia. What the dispatch did not report was that one of the Paiutes had been injured, while the other had been shot and killed by a soldier’s long-range rifle. The military commander at Fort Sanford sent an express to Circleville and Panguitch advising that Paiutes encamped near the settlements ought to be disarmed. Later, another express rider from Fort Sanford erroneously reported that “friendly Paiutes had shot and killed a white man who belonged to the militia”—though in fact no militiamen had been killed.

Settlers and local LDS church leaders​ in Circleville met to decide what course to pursue. They decided to take the local Paiutes prisoner and sent a messenger to them to come into town and hear a letter read by the local LDS bishop. Those who complied were directed into the log church meetinghouse. When the settlers told the Indians to disarm and the Paiutes indicated reluctance, the settlers forcefully disarmed them. Men were sent to bring in the Indians who had refused to come in the first time. One Paiute who attempted to escape was shot. The prisoners, including women and children, were taken to an unused cellar to be held under guard.

LDS Church Apostle Erastus Snow received a report from Circleville and instructed that prisoners should be treated kindly and let go unless “hostile or affording aid to the enemy.” But the dispatch arrived too late—except for two prisoners who escaped and four children thought too young to bear witness, Mormon settlers massacred as many as thirty men, women, and children of the Koosharem Band, mostly by slitting their throats. Reportedly, the bodies were taken to the cellar of an unbuilt mill and buried in a mass grave.

**

The event is little-known in Utah and barely receives mention in general histories of the state. Only a few scholarly sources, including a 1989 Utah Historical Quarterly article, document its history. In order to raise awareness and honor the memory of the innocents, several groups have worked together on creating a monument.

The monument is the result of cooperation among the Paiute Tribe of Utah, Utah Division of State History, town of Circleville, LDS Church History Department, Utah Westerners, and many contributors. The LDS Church Historical Department made an initial contribution that paid for the design of the monument. Utah Division of State History Director Brad Westwood and Utah Westerners President Steven A. Gallenson spearheaded a fundraising campaign, and a number of history-loving individuals and organizations have pledged their financial support of the project.

At the request of the Paiute Tribe, on the granite stone will be an image of an eagle in flight (conveying the deceased to their resting places). The text will include an oral account of the massacre and an inscription written by the next of kin of those slain.

The memorial has the promise of not only bringing recognition to the massacre but also of bringing healing for Paiutes and the people of Circleville. The inscription reads: “In remembrance of the innocent who were lost in this place so long ago. None of us could ever hope to describe the feelings of emotion that these people might have felt. All we can do is honor their existence as human beings.”

Resources

Weeks, Sue Jensen. How Desolate Our Home Bereft of Thee: James Tillman Sanford Allred and the Circleville Massacre. Melbourne: Clouds of Magellan, 2014.

Winkler, Albert. “The Circleville Massacre: A Brutal Incident in Utah’s Black Hawk War,” Utah Historical Quarterly 55 (1987): 4–21.

Utah Historical Quarterly Current Issue


Volume 84, Number 2 (Spring 2016 Issue):


Published since 1928, the Utah Historical Quarterly is the state’s premier history journal and the source for reliable, engaging Utah history. Join the Historical Society for your own copy.

Each issue of the Utah Historical Quarterly is accompanied with rich web supplements that introduce readers to sources, photos, interviews, and other engaging material. These “extras” are located at history.utah.gov/uhqextras.

WEB EXTRAS: See here 


IN THIS ISSUE


“The historian sets himself a dangerous, even an impossible, task,” writes the historian Daniel J. Boorstin. Far removed from the event being examined, the historian must piece together stories using imperfect sources. Rather than uncover history, she creates it from little more than relics—fragments—of the past. The sources she uses may or may not represent a sample of the experiences people really had. If “survival [of sources] is chancy, whimsical and unpredictable,” as Boorstin argues, assessing the provenance, representation, and significance of sources is that much more essential. The historian cannot perfectly succeed in telling history “as it really happened,” as the nineteenth-century German historian Leopold Von Ranke suggested could be done. Yet by evaluating, scrutinizing, and questioning remaining evidence, she can hope to capture the essence of lives and experiences once lived.

The essays in this issue represent fine examples of current practitioners working with varied sources. Archaeological artifacts as historical sources, for instance, are rarely represented in the pages of UHQ. However, our lead article shows how artifacts have given us a more complete understanding of past logging operations in the Uinta Mountains. Decaying cabins, flumes, and crib structures remain as tangible reminders of this unique chapter in Utah and western history. These and many other artifacts reveal much about how tie cutters for the railroad industry worked, and they also give sometimes surprising insight into the social history of the men, women, and children who lived in logging camps. This article is also a reminder that sometimes local actions—in this case, the harvesting of trees in a forgotten corner of the state—served national purposes.

Through court proceedings, press coverage, and personal interviews, our second piece reconstructs a story that is both sensational and familiar—how, in 1908, a teenage boy from a respected family murdered a pregnant young woman with whom he was keeping company on the sly. This piece of intrigue occurred in what might seem the most unlikely place: Orderville, Utah, whose residents had lived communally in the 1870s and 1880s. Yet this case involved more than the relationship between two teenagers. A scaffolding of social expectations, history, and law surrounded the young people and played some part—however minimal—in Alvin Heaton Jr.’s decision to murder Mary Stevens.

Our third essay brings us to a little-known episode in the life of a familiar Utah and Mormon figure, James E. Talmage. Readers see a different side to the university president and theologian—a man obsessed with scouting geologic formations in the peaks and canyons of southern Utah and northern Arizona. If he did not have the precision or expertise of his contemporaries Clarence Dutton and Grove Karl Gilbert, who both authored geological monographs, Talmage had the determination to fulfill the expedition’s objectives. This essay, based primarily on Talmage’s record of his travels, is a fine example of narrative-driven history tuned to the finer details.

Newspaper accounts and especially oral histories reconstruct a different kind of encounter. The next article examines the cultural outcomes of a “peaceful invasion” of southeastern Utah by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Of course, that New Deal program brought economic and environmental changes to Utah, but its members—the “Cs”—also participated in a host of cultural exchanges with the people of San Juan and Grand counties. Young men from gritty eastern cities taught boxing, baseball, and the Lindy Hop to the people of Blanding and Monticello, even as they learned about American Indian culture, small-town entertainment, and the ways of local girls.

The spring issue concludes with an homage to an unlikely landmark, a horse-barn-turned-art-studio on the Utah State University campus. In this short piece, Emily Wheeler recounts a few of the memories associated with this structure, from its raising in 1919 to its razing in 2015, showing how multifaceted and deep the memory of a place can be.


ARTICLES

“Wooden Beds for Wooden Heads”: Railroad Tie Cutting in the Uinta Mountains, 1867–1938
By Christopher W. Merritt

A Most Horrible Crime: The 1908 Murder of Mary Stevens in Orderville, Utah
By Roger Blomquist

James E. Talmage and the 1895 Deseret Museum Expedition to Southern Utah
By Craig S. Smith

Turning “the Picture a Whole Lot”: The CCC Invasion of Southeastern Utah, 1933–1942
By Robert S. McPherson and Jesse Grover

Barn Raising
By Emily Brooksby Wheeler


BOOK REVIEWS

Jessie L. Embry and Brian Q. Cannon, eds., Immigrants in the Far West: Historical Identities and Experiences. Reviewed by Timothy Dean Draper

Will Bagley, South Pass: Gateway to a Continent. Reviewed by Patricia Ann Owens

Kenneth R. Beesley and Dirk Elzinga, An 1860 English-Hopi Vocabulary Written in the Deseret Alphabet. Reviewed by Robert S. McPherson

Dave Hall, A Faded Legacy: Amy Brown Lyman and Mormon Women’s Activism, 1872–1959. Reviewed by Jennifer Rust

Richard Francaviglia, The Mapmakers of New Zion: A Cartographic History of Mormonism. Reviewed by Paul F. Starrs


BOOK NOTICES

Tim Sullivan, Ways to the West: How Getting Out of Our Cars Is Reclaiming America’s Frontier

Randall Balmer and Jana Riess, eds., Mormonism and American Politics

 

Experience Utah Archaeology

Calendar of Events

During May, you can find lectures, activities and more events listed here! Contact Chris Merritt (cmerritt@utah.gov) if you would like to add an event in your area!

Poster Contest

Congratulations to Joel Boomgarden for his winning poster! Contact Deb Miller if you would like to receive copies, contact Deb Miller (damiller@utah.gov).

ArchyPoster2016

Open House

The first Saturday in May is our annual Open House. This year it is at Salt Lake Community College’s South City Campus. Saturday, May 7th from 12-3pm. Mark your calendars and check back here for more information!

Past Winners

Over 25 years of poster contest winners can be found here.

Resources

Teaching resources and information about Archaeology & Preservation in the state of Utah are located here.

Petroglyphs_P2

 

Creating Greater Salt Lake: History, Landscape, Urban Design

A SYMPOSIUM

Save the Date
Friday, May 13, 2016, 9–4 p.m.
Salt Lake City Public Library
Nancy Tessman Auditorium
210 East 400 South

 

WHAT IT’S ABOUT

This one-day interdisciplinary event aims to examine the historical dimensions, design elements, power relationships, and legal and bureaucratic scaffolding that have shaped Utah’s capital city and urban corridor.

WHO IT’S FOR

We invite practitioners of history, historic preservation, urban planning, land and water management, and other related fields, as well as activists, neighborhood and city councils, planning commissioners, journalists, and the public, to join us for a free symposium exploring the Greater Salt Lake landscape and built environment.

WHAT WE’LL BE EXPLORING

  • We will consider the role of ideas, laws, bureaucracies, and intellectual designs on urban design and transportation;
  • The impact of architecture and design on political, cultural, racial, and other power structures
  • The design, alteration, management, destruction, regulation, and sustainability of a valued natural resource on the landscape; and
  • The challenges and promises of re-imagining and recreating a place where we live, work, and play.

KEYNOTE ADDRESS – ANDREW NEEDHAM

Needham photoWe are very happy to announce Andrew Needham of New York University as the symposium’s keynote speaker.

Beyond the Metropolis: Remapping American Urban History

What are the boundaries of metropolitan America? Scholars have long used the Census Bureau’s unit of Standard Metropolitan Statistical Area (SMSA) to understand the historical changes and social dynamics associated with metropolitan growth. In his talk, Andrew Needham, an award-winning urban and environmental historian, will map the effects of metropolitan growth beyond the expected borders of urban history. His address will suggest how expanding the geographic scale of metropolitan history produces new stories about the far reaching changes to human and natural landscapes wrought by the urbanization of the American West and the United States at large.


PANELS

Transportation and Urban Design: A discussion of the factors—such as laws, technology, population growth, economic pressures, and underlying assumptions—that have affected the development of transit and urban development in Salt Lake City’s greater downtown area.

Water and the Unsustainable Landscape: An exploration of the role of a dwindling natural resource on the built environment. From the lofty Wasatch Mountains to the Great Salt Lake, water has shaped and dictated human interaction on the eastern edge of the Great Basin, contributing to large-scale and perhaps in some cases unsustainable manipulation of the landscape.

Architecture and Power: An examination of the power dynamics reflected in Salt Lake City’s historic and modern architecture. The panel will juxtapose the Salt Lake Temple and the City and County Building, the LDS Conference Center and the Salt Lake City Library, City Creek and the Gateway—buildings and campuses that visually and geographically reflect religious and secular forces at play in Utah’s capital city.


This symposium, presented by the Utah State Historical Society and Utah Historical Quarterly, is free and open to the public but registration is requested. There is a cost for parking in the library parking garage.

USHS_Logo_75

 

 

The program acknowledges the centennial anniversary of Utah’s State Capital building and the fiftieth anniversary of the National Historic Preservation Act.

For additional information, contact Jedediah Rogers (jedediahrogers@utah.gov), co-managing editor, Utah Historical Quarterly.


Sponsors for this event are Utah Humanities, American West Center at the University of Utah, and Department of History at the University of Utah

 

Questions? Comments? Contact Jedediah Rogers at 801-245-7209 or jedediahrogers@utah.gov

 

Veterans Utah History Project

ww2-vet-photo

Where were you when WWII ended?

The Division of State History and the Utah Department of Veterans & Military Affairs have joined together on the Veterans Utah History Project.

Whether you are a WWII veteran and want to document and share your experiences and memories or you want to volunteer to interview a WWII veteran there are opportunities to participate.

Visit the Utah Department of Veterans & Military Affairs website to learn more and get involved to collect, document and archive this important part of our history.

Governor appoints new director of the Utah Division of Arts & Museums

**FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE**                          

13 November 2015

Governor appoints new director of the Utah Division of Arts & Museums

 

SALT LAKE CITY — Gov. Gary R. Herbert has appointed Gay Cookson as the director of the Utah Division of Arts & Museums, a division of the Utah Department of Heritage & Arts.

“Gay Cookson is a proven leader in Utah’s arts and museums communities,” Herbert said. “With 30 years of responsibility in arts and cultural administration, she brings a wealth of experience and knowledge to her new position. I trust that the nation’s oldest state arts agency will be in capable hands.”G.Cookson

Cookson currently serves as the senior director of development for the University of Utah College of Fine Arts, which includes the University’s four professional arts and cultural affiliates:  Pioneer Theatre Company, Utah Museum of Fine Arts, Tanner Dance Company and Kingsbury Hall (UtahPresents); and six academic departments including ballet, modern dance, theatre, music, art and art history, and film and media arts. At the College of Fine Arts, she worked to support and expand the influence of arts and creativity on campus and throughout the community. She has also held several positions at KUED Channel-7 and served in the Ballet West administration.

Cookson earned a Master of Fine Arts in Arts Administration and a Bachelor of University Studies degree from the University of Utah.

“I’m delighted to join the Division of Arts & Museums as director,” Cookson said. “I look forward to working with the talented professional staff at the Division and to continuing Utah’s proud tradition of state support for arts and museums.”

“Gay is a great addition to our Utah Department of Heritage and Arts team,” said executive director, Julie Fisher. “Her years of experience with arts and culture at the University of Utah and in the broader community will enhance the mission of the Division of Arts and Museums.”

Gov. Herbert convened a search panel of leaders in Utah’s arts and museums communities to conduct a nationwide search for a new director.  The panel was chaired by Vern Swanson, emeritus director of the Springville Museum of Art and included: Max Chang, business leader and arts and museums advocate; Ken Verdoia, journalist and producer at KUED and chair of the Utah Arts Council Board of Directors; Dr. Pam Miller, retired professor of museum studies at USU-Eastern and chair of the Utah Offices of Museum Services Advisory Board; Kirsten Darrington, assistant director of the Utah Division of Arts & Museums; Julie Fisher, executive director of the Utah Department of Heritage & Arts; and Brian Somers, deputy director of the Utah Department of Heritage & Arts.

“Our search panel reviewed a large number of qualified applicants from across Utah and the nation,” Vern Swanson said.  “After a thorough and grueling interview process, Gay rose to the top of our list and was the unanimous choice of the committee to lead the Division of Arts & Museums in its bright future.”

# # #

Historic Salt Lake City Apartments of the Early Twentieth Century

Text and Photographs by Lisa-Michele Church

Salt Lake City contains many beautiful examples of early twentieth-century apartment buildings constructed to house a growing urban population. With whimsical names such as Piccadilly, Peter Pan or Waldorf, these buildings beckoned to Utahns interested in a new approach to residential life. Apartments became places of beginnings and endings for the young couple starting out, a single woman with her first job, an immigrant family new to the area, or a widow no longer able to care for her home. Apartments were a stage on which the rest of your life came into view. As one resident put it, “You moved in with a suitcase, and out with a truck.”

The buildings were designed with style and architectural flair. Residents could enjoy amenities such as electric stoves, night watchmen, elegant entryways, and, for some, Murphy “disappearing” beds. Local families, including the Coveys, Downings, and Sampsons, constructed many of the complexes. Monthly rents ranged from $30 to $50. The last of the distinctive buildings was built in the 1930s; after World War II, people preferred cozy bungalows in the suburbs.  But about half of the original 180 apartment houses are still standing as a vivid illustration of the boldness with which Salt Lake City entered the twentieth century.

The following photo gallery features a few of these buildings. Download a self-guided walking tour brochure to see the historic apartments buildings at your own pace.


1 Pauline

Pauline. The Pauline was built at 278 East 100 South in 1904. This is a “walk up” design where each apartment has its own entrance landing and balcony. Note the cut sandstone foundation, iron railing balconies, and brick details.

2 Woodruff

The Woodruff, located at 235 South 200 East, was built in 1908 and contained 51 units. The building advertised to “young men looking for desirable apartments close to their work.” There was a café, The building featured steam heat, hot water, telephone, gas range, a dresser, buffet, and Murphy bed. Tenants had the option of choosing the color of their walls. A night watchman and janitor were assigned to the apartment, and a café was an added amenity to residents.

3 Woodruff detail

Note the lovely lamp posts, now gone, and the bold entrance. Abraham Gross and his wife, Vera, were typical residents in the 1930s, living in unit 60 and raising their young son, Jerome. Abe and Vera were Polish immigrants; he worked as a cattle buyer. When Abe was killed tragically in a 1935 train accident, Vera and Jerome moved out and the apartment stood vacant for two years.

4 Altadena

The Altadena, at 310 South 300 East, was built in 1905 at a cost of $21,000 by the Octavius Sampson family. The Sampsons originally named it Vivian Flats but changed the name a few years later to match that of their baby daughter. Typical residents included sisters, Annette and Martha Rustad, Norwegian immigrants who worked as seamstresses in Salt Lake department stores. They lived at the Altadena for many years; neither ever married.

5 Altadena detail

The entrance doors at the Altadena are especially detailed. Both buildings feature pediments, Tuscan columns, dentillated cornices and accented cornerstones.

6 Sampson

The Sampson building is at 276 East 300 South, around the corner from the Altadena. It contained seven “walk up” units. The Altadena and Sampson Apartments are almost identical plans. Both buildings have red brick, white trim, substantial balconies, and oak doors. One luxury item was an elevator at the back of the building.

7 Elise

The Elise, at 561 East 100 South, features a massive columned entrance with decorative iron railings and balconies.

8 Elise detail

The detail on the Elise columns is striking. The building was built in 1914 and contains eight “walk up” units.

9 Hillcrest

The Hillcrest is located at 155 East First Avenue and was built in 1915. It joined other apartment buildings financed by the Covey family, including the Covey Flats (now LaFrance), Buckingham, Kensington, New Hillcrest, and Covey. All were built by W.C.A. Vissing, a popular apartment contractor of the time and member of the Covey family.

10 Buckingham

The u-shaped court of the Buckingham (241 East South Temple) is echoed in the other Covey-designed buildings. All were carefully landscaped with generous courtyards and flower beds.

11 Ruby

The Ruby, at 435 East 200 South, was built in 1912. It contains 21 “walk up” units and beautiful wood framed doors and windows. The detailed brick work is also remarkable.

12 Ruby too

One resident of the Ruby, Sadie Baldwin, worked as a dressmaker earning $720 per year in 1940. Sadie was a young widow with three children to raise.

13 Embassy

The Embassy was built at 130 South 300 East in 1926. It contains 31 units using a double-loaded corridor plan where each room opens off a central corridor, and few have balconies. This plan type was a particularly efficient use of Salt Lake City’s deep lots, and was common in the buildings built after World War I. It is currently called the Pauline Downs.

14 Embassy detail

Most early apartment buildings used bold signs to attract attention and convey style. The Embassy sign is no exception. The Embassy was built, along with two adjacent apartment buildings, by Bessie P. Downing and her husband, Hardy. Hardy was a famous tandem bike racer and boxing promoter. Bessie lived in this building and managed it until Hardy’s passing.

15 Embassy Arms

The Embassy Arms was a little fancier than the Embassy, with its French door balconies and elaborate stone entrance. It was built by the Downings next to the Embassy, at 120 South 300 East, in 1930. Note the stone “D” over the sign; it was originally named the Downing Deluxe.

16 Embassy Arms too

These French door balconies were unusual in a double loaded corridor plan. Note the brickwork and stone accents.

17 Spencer Stewart

The Spencer Stewart, at 740 East 300 South, was built in 1926 and included 29 units. It was advertised in the 1935 Salt Lake Telegram for its “three rooms, electric refrigerators and ranges, furnished or unfurnished, disappearing beds, nice large rooms, moderate rent.”

18 Stratton

The Stratton was built in 1927 as part of a building boom where at least ten new apartment buildings appeared on the downtown skyline. It is located at 49 South 400 East and features some castellation along the roofline, two balconies, and an imposing entrance.

19 Peter Pan

The Peter Pan is located at 445 East 300 South. It is notable for its tile roofs, brick detailing and lovely sign. The building was built in 1927.

20 Peter Pan detail

The name signs on the early apartment buildings were often neon and included colorful metal designs.

21 Bell Wines

The Bell Wines apartments were built in 1927 by a married couple, Hazel Bell and Stanley Wines, who combined their surnames. It is located at 530 East 100 South. The building is evocative of a southern plantation home, with a center porch and tall columns around a courtyard.

22 Bell Wines too

The building contains 30 units opening off a long hallway. One early resident, Eva Harmer, became engaged to her sweetheart, Blaine Allan, while living here in 1934. She was alarmed when she discovered she had dropped her engagement ring down the apartment’s sink. Fortunately, city water officials blocked off the pipes until the ring could be found.

23 Annie Laurie

The Annie Laurie, located at 326 East 100 South, and its sister building, the Lorna Doone, were both built in 1928 by the Bowers Investment Company at a cost of $80,000 each. The Lorna Doone has 33 units and the Annie Laurie has 30.

25 Lorna Doone

The Lorna Doone, at 320 East 100 South, shared an interior block parking lot with the other nearby apartments. Between the two sister buildings is a landscaped courtyard.

24 Lorna Doone detail

Both buildings feature elaborate gargoyles and ornaments at the entrance and on the roofline.

26 Armista

The Armista, located at 55 East 100 South, is a substantial building of stone and brick with little ornamentation. Its doorway features beautiful lamps. Herrick and Company built it with 30 units in 1927. Its name was later changed to the Waldorf Apartments. A 1927 Salt Lake Tribune ad read: “$40.00 to $42.00. One of the most modernly equipped and conveniently located apartments in the city.”

27 Piccardy

The Piccardy, at 115 South 300 East, was built in 1930. It has 40 units: five one-bedroom and five studios on each floor. It features Jacobethan styling, twisting columns at the entrance and some leaded glass windows.

28 Piccardy detail

Acanthus leaf trim and original light fixtures adorn the Piccardy entrance.

29 Los Gables

The Los Gables is one of the largest apartments of the early period with 80 units. It was built at 135 South 300 East in 1929. Note the imposing stone work and arched doorways.

30 Los Gables detail

The Los Gables also features inset stone pieces and timber accents.

31 Piccadilly

The Piccadilly is a typical double-loaded corridor plan, built in 1929 at 24 South 500 East.

32 Piccadilly detail

The doorway at the Piccadilly features the original light fixture and decorative sign.

33 Bigelow

The Bigelow apartments were built in 1930 at 223 South 400 East, containing 30 units. A 1940 ad read: “2 r[oo]m modern, lots of space, light, all electric, good service, exclusive.”

34 Premier

The Premier was built at 27 South 800 East in 1931 for $50,000. The site features an unusually large front courtyard with lush landscaping. Note the upright metal sign on the roof.

35 Premier detail

The Premier entrances have striking stone work and wrought iron gates.

36 Chateau Normandie

The Chateau Normandie, 63 South 400 East, was built in 1931. It is a rare example of a “walk up” design built at the end of this apartment era. It has stately trees and extensive timber accents.

37 Chateau Normandie detail

The windows at the Chateau Normandie are extensively decorated.

38 Eastcliff Westcliff

The East Cliff and West Cliff buildings sit together on 200 South between 400 East and 500 East. They were built in 1927–28 and originally named the Cummings apartments.

39 Mayflower

The Mayflower, at 1283 East South Temple, is one of the largest and most elegant apartment buildings of the first half of the twentieth century. Built in 1929 from a design by the architect Slack Winburn, each floor has only five 2,600-square-foot units. Arches and ivy adorn the exterior.

40 Knickerbocker

The Knickerbocker apartment building at 1280 East South Temple was built in 1911 by W.C.A. Vissing. It has a large carved cornice and massive columns with iron railing balconies.

41 Castle Heights

The Castle Heights apartment building opened in January, 1931 to great acclaim. A Salt Lake Tribune ad dated January 18, 1931, read: “Every kitchen in this ultra modern apartment house is equipped with a genuine Frigidaire unit.” It still stands at 141 East First Avenue. Note the stone work, arched entrance, and neon sign.

 

 

Statement Regarding Resignation of Arts & MuseumsDirector

06 August 2015

Statement Regarding Resignation of Arts & MuseumsDirector

Lynnette Hiskey resigned as director of the Utah Division of Arts & Museums on Monday, August 3, 2015. Lynnette was a dedicated advocate for arts and museums in Utah and can point to many successes during her time as assistant director and director of the division. The Utah Department of Heritage & Arts will be commencing a nationwide search for a new director of the Division of Arts & Museums in the coming weeks.

# # #

Help Us Show What A Great Utah Summer Looks Like!

10462653_705604846143601_3781725522508040951_nHello Utah! Summer is once again upon as and our state comes alive with celebration, recreation and the occasional relaxation.

We are happy to announce that we are bringing back #myutahsummer. What is it?

We want you to share with us your best summer moments – your visit to a great museum, an arts performance, cultural event, capturing a moment at your local library, and even a great moment volunteering for your community!

Simply share your photos via Facebook, Twitter and Instagram using the #myutahsummer hashtag. We will post selected images weekly from all over the state.

At the end of summer, we will take select photos and compile them into a video, capturing Utah’s Summer of 2015!

Click here to see last year’s video.

We hope you have an amazing summer, whether it’s attending a concert, cleaning up a park with friends, exploring a museum, or simply relaxing with a good book. Be sure to share it with us!

10606408_720646061306146_3493092069445561899_n MUS15 2 MUS15 3

Editions of Park Record and Springville Herald Now Available Online to the Public

For Immediate Release

Geoffrey Fattah, 801.245.7205

Communications Director, Utah Dept. of Heritage and Arts

22 January 2015

 

Editions of Park Record and Springville Herald Now Available Online to the Public

SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Department of Heritage & Arts (DHA) is announcing the completion of its latest digitization project that makes available a 34-year run of the Springville Herald and expanded editions of the Park Record newspapers free to the public online.

People can now search 13,286 pages of the Springville Herald from 1924 to 1957. They can also search an additional 6,658 pages of the Park Record, making all editions available from 1881 to 1986. Both projects were completed in partnership with DHA and the University of Utah’s Marriott Library Utah Digital Newspapers archives (digitalnewspapers.org).

“This collection is open to the public by appointment, but is very fragile,” said Amber Swanson with the Springville Public Library. “The grant from the Department of Heritage and Arts has made 34 years of the Springville Herald available online to anyone in the world. It will be a boon to researchers studying the history of Springville and the art movement of Art City.”

“Information is powerful, but it takes money and commitment to convert history to digital archives, available to all on the internet,” said former Summit County Council and Park City Council member Sally Elliott, who added that Park City’s rich journalistic tradition is now being shared online.

Elliott and Swanson both said they both worked with caring citizens and their local libraries to submit grant applications to the Utah State Library – a division of DHA.

DHA Executive Director Julie Fisher said the effort to preserve these two newspapers was clearly a good choice.

“The process of digitizing newspapers is a worthwhile investment that provides a cost savings over time,” Fisher said. “Historic small-town newspapers are virtually inaccessible if the only copy is found in the basement of a library. Just think how much easier it is to find an ancestor’s obituary now that they are digital and online. Digitization is a smart investment.”

The new collection joins a growing list of local newspapers now available online at digitalnewspapers.org.

# # #