Thursday, January 19, 2017, 12:00 – 3:00 pm
Rio Grande Depot, Board Room, 300 South Rio Grande Street, Salt Lake City, UT
TIME: Noon – working lunch for Board members, hosted by State History
12:15 p.m. – WELCOME – Dina Blaes, Chair
October – December State History program accomplishments
Brad Westwood (5 min)
1. Strategic Plan to the Utah Museum of History, Heritage and Arts – Timeline & Essential Steps
2. Utah Drawn: An Exhibition of Rare Maps. Displayed at the Utah Capitol, 4th Floor, opens January 27, 2017
Roger Roper – Historic Preservation (5 min)
1. Community preservation: continued coordination with other cultural/heritage agencies and organizations to better coordinate the delivery of services to communities.
2. Grant Management transition (with Debbie’s retirement, creation of online database, etc.)
3. Utah Heritage Traditions: moving forward with getting several documented for designation in the fall.
Wendy Rex-Atzet – History Day (5 min)
1. History Day on the Hill – report
2. Spring Contests – invite board members and help us solicit judges
Doug Misner – Library and Collections (5 min)
1. Improving ability to manage and care for the collection
2. Update on the selection of a new collection management system (CMS).
Improving public access to the collection
1. Update on the implementation of our new public access catalog.
2. New digital asset management system implemented by University of Utah.
3. Hired part time Reference Librarian.
Outreach and partnerships
1. Participated in Watch & Talk lecture series hosted by the Division of Arts and Museums.
2. Created an artifact display for the renaming ceremony at the Central Utah Veterans Home in Payson.
Arie Leeflang – Antiquities (5 min)
1. Veteran’s Memorial Database & Story Map.
2. Over 15,000 records have been data-entered for the BLM, to improve their management of archaeological resources.
4. Geo Cortex
Jed Rogers, Holly George – Utah Historical Quarterly (5 min)
1. New UHQ publishing and marketing initiative.
2. Contents of the winter UHQ issue.
3. World War I Commission.
Kevin Fayles – Communications (5 min)
1. Webstats and social media.
2. Burial records.
3. Emergency management planning (FEMA PA, Annex, etc,)
- Approval of the October 27, 2016 Board of State History Retreat minutes – Dina Blaes
(Board motion required) (3 min)
- National Register of Historic Places Nominations – Cory Jensen (25 min)
(Board motion required)
Summaries of National Register of Historic Places Nominations
a) The Ballard-Sego Coal Mine Historic District in Grand County, Utah
b) The River Heights Sinclair Station
- Request for removal from National Register – Cory Jensen (5 min)
(No Board motion required)
a) Verd’s Fruit Market Complex in Orem (demolished)
- Administrative Rules due for Five Year Review with Dept. of Administrative Rules – Alycia Aldrich
(Board motion required) (10 min)
a) R455-1, Adjudicative Proceedings
b) R455-12, Computerized Record of Cemeteries, Burial Locations and Plots, and Granting Matching Funds
- Committee reports – David Rich Lewis, David Richardson, Steve Olsen, Michael Homer (20 min)
- Proposed Museum for History, Heritage and Arts update – Dina Blaes, Brad Westwood (15 min)
- Legislative briefing
a) 250th Anniversary Year of the Nation – Brad Westwood (5 min)
b) Historic Districts, Tax Credits – Roger Roper (5 min)
c) WWI funding proposal – Kevin Fayles (5 min)
- Budget briefing from the Department of Heritage and Arts – Tenielle Young, Jim Grover (15 min)
- 2017 outreach and events to include Board members – Kevin Fayles (5 min)OTHER BUSINESS
Annual Disclosure Forms (2 min)
Board Photo (5 minutes)
NEXT MEETING: April 20, 2017, 12:00 pm – 3:00 pm