Archaeology – Antiquities Section
The Antiquities Section deals with archaeological matters for state agencies, federal agencies, and consultants. Our records are closed to the general public and are only available to permitted archaeologists within the state of Utah.
May is Archaeology & Preservation Month!
- See the Calendar of Events – our partners, colleagues and friends host a variety of events during May.
- Brochure of statewide events can be downloaded and printed.
You can search publications produced by The Antiquities Section and past editions of Utah Archaeology: Utah’s Journal of Archaeological Research.
Start your search.
Interested in learning more about all we do in a year? Read up on our annual newsletter.
Maps and Data
The Antiquities Section publishes web maps and public GIS datasets.
Laws & Legal Authority
State and Federal Laws which pertain to the Antiquities Act, vandalism, and the desecration of human remains can be found here.
- Christopher Merritt, Deputy SHPO/Antiquities Coordinator, Archaeology 801-245-7263
- Shawn Lambert, Public Archaeologist, 801-245-7232
- Derinna Kopp, Forensic/Physical Anthropologist, 801-245-7245
- Arie Leeflang, Archaeology Records Manager, 801-245-7246
- Deb Miller, Assistant Archaeology Records Manager, 801-245-7249
- Elizabeth Hora-Cook, Cultural Compliance Reviewer, 801-245-7241
- Christina Epperson, GIS Analyst, 801-245-7234
- Tessie Burningham, Records Assistant, 801-245-7259
Organizations and Resources
- USAS – Utah Statewide Archaeological Society