On August 22, 1933, President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed a proclamation creating a national monument at Cedar Breaks. The following July, residents of Iron County, joined by state and national dignitaries, formally dedicated the monument. The celebration masked nearly two decades of wrangling between the U.S. Forest Service and the National Park Service, as well as between the towns of Parowan and Cedar City, over the proposed monument. Below we reproduce transcribed documents from those years of conflict.
Leo A. Borah, “Utah, Carved by Winds and Waters,” National Geographic Magazine, May 1936
“Big Time Planned at Cedar Breaks,” Parowan Times June 15, 1934
“Plans Maturing For Celebration at Breaks,” Parowan Times June 22, 1934
“Celebrate the Glorious 4th at Cedar Breaks: Plans Complete for Big Formal Opening,” Parowan Times, June 29, 1934
“Breaks Monument Dedication Attended by Thousands,” Iron County Record July 5, 1934
“Cedar Breaks Area Fittingly Dedicated,” Parowan Times July 6, 1934