The research center will be closed May 24th so staff can attend a professional conference
Our Research Center contains a treasure trove of Utah history.
Located in the historic Rio Grande Depot building the Research Center of Utah State Archives and Utah State History provides public access to state holdings. Our staff can help you research historical records and collections from private, public, and government sources. Access to the Research Center and staff assistance are free. Visit the Library and Collections page to see what we have. Also see the joint research page for Utah State Archives and Utah State History collections.
The Research Center is open Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Have a research question? Ask our librarians.
When You Visit
The records and materials in the collections are historic and one of a kind. All books, manuscripts, photographs, maps and records are non-circulating and must be used in the Research Center. Photocopies are generally allowed and available as a self-service. When visiting, patrons must register annually.
Books and photographs regarding general Utah history topics as well as commonly used items such as Polk city directories and yearbooks are available in the Research Center without staff assistance. Other collection items are housed in closed stacks and will need to be requested and pulled by staff.
Records and collections can be pulled prior to a visit to the Research Center but it is not required.
Rules of the Research Center
Due to the historic and unique nature of the records and collections, patrons of the Research Center must adhere to the following rules:
- No food or drink is allowed in the Research Center.
- All coats, purses, bags, briefcases etc. must be left in the reception area.
- Only pencils (not pens), paper, and laptop computers are allowed in the Research Center.
- Researchers should not mark or write on any research materials.
- The existing order of documents should be carefully maintained.
- Researchers should use particular care in handling fragile materials.
- Scanners are not allowed in the Research Center, cameras by permission only.
- Research Center Staff may examine all notes and papers as you leave
Copy and Mailing Charges
Research Center staff can make copies for you. See our list of copy charges.
Hours and Location
The Research Center is open Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Closed Saturday and Sunday.
The Research Center in the Rio Grande Depot is located at 300 South Rio Grande Street, Salt Lake City, Utah. Map.
Phone: 801-245-7227. Email: email@example.com.