SATURDAY, APRIL 29, 2017
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: Sunday, April 2, 10 pm
- All students must register online for the state contest! Registration is not automatic. Students who qualify for state will receive an invitation to register by email.
Early Submission Deadlines for Paper, Website, and Documentary Entries
- Paper Entries Due: April 10, 5 pm. Email a pdf to email@example.com, AND send 4 copies, printed and stapled, to Utah History Day, 300 S. Rio Grande Street, SLC UT 84101.
- Websites Lock for Judging: April 10, 10 pm
- Documentary Uploads Due : April 10, 10 pm. Download Documentary Submission Instructions State Contest
Location: Hillcrest Junior High School – 126 East 5300 South, Murray 84107
Many thanks to Hillcrest Junior High School for hosting our state contest! It is a beautiful school, centrally located just off I-15, with plenty of restaurants and shopping nearby. Hillcrest is one block east of Murray High School.
7:30-9:00 Student Check In & Exhibit Setup
3:30-4:30 Awards Ceremony
4:45-5:30 Nationals Meeting
* This schedule is subject to change.
We are pleased to offer special awards in the following subject areas, thanks to these generous sponsors:
- American West – Sponsored by the Charles Redd Center for Western Studies, BYU
- Military History – Sponsored by the Fort Douglas Military Museum
- Glen and Caroline Miner Award in Utah History – Sponsored by the Smith-Pettit Foundation
- History of Women or Gender – Sponsored by the University of Utah Department of History
- History of Science, Technology, or Medicine – Sponsored by the University of Utah Department of History
- World History – Sponsored by the University of Utah Department of History
- Local or Community History – Sponsored by the University of Utah Department of History
To be considered for a a special award, students who will be competing at State must nominate themselves in advance during online registration.
Qualifying for State
The annual Utah History Day State Competition is open to qualifying students in the Junior and Senior age divisions. Top entries from each of Utah’s ten regional contests qualify to advance to the state contest. The Primary age division does not compete at State.
Take I-15 into Salt Lake. Take the 5300 South Exit, toward the east. Go straight, cross State Street, then look for Hillcrest Junior High School on your right, just after the library.
Hillcrest is about a 15-minute walk from the Murray Central Trax/Frontrunner station.
Parking is available in the 2 lots next to the school, however, these lots will fill quickly. Do not park at the library. There is additional parking conveniently located directly across the street, behind the hotel and next to the ice rink. A staircase leads from this parking lot down to 5300 South, where you can cross in a crosswalk. Student check-in is inside the main entrance to the school, which faces north.
There will be down time during the day, especially in the afternoon. Things to do nearby include Fashion Place Mall, Indoor Ice Skating at Salt Lake County Ice, and Murray Park. Bring board games, reading, movies, or video games. Or hop on the freeway to visit attractions such as Living Planet Aquarium (Draper), Gardner Village (Midvale), or downtown Salt Lake City.
National Contest: June 11-15, 2017
University of Maryland, College Park (Just inside the Washington, D.C., Beltway!)
For More Information: www.nhd.org