SATURDAY, APRIL 28, 2018
7:30-9:00 Student Check In & Exhibit Setup
3:30-4:30 Awards Ceremony
4:45-5:30 National Delegation Meeting
* This schedule is subject to change.
We are pleased to offer cash prizes in the following areas, thanks to these generous partners:
- American West – Sponsored by the Charles Redd Center for Western Studies, BYU
- Equality in History – Sponsored by the University of Utah Department of History
- Immigration History – Sponsored by the University of Utah Department of History
- Military History – Sponsored by Fort Douglas Military Museum
- Rails & Trails Prize – Sponsored by the Oregon-California Trails Association
- Science, Medicine or Technology – Sponsored by the University of Utah Department of History
- Women or Gender – Sponsored by the University of Utah Department of History
- World War I – Sponsored by the Utah WWI Commission
- Utah History – Sponsored by the Smith-Pettit Foundation
To be considered for a a special award, students who will be competing at State must nominate themselves in advance during online registration.
Qualifying for State
The annual Utah History Day State Competition is open to qualifying students in the Junior and Senior age divisions. Top entries from each of Utah’s ten regional contests qualify to advance to the state contest. The Primary age division does not compete at State.
Take I-15 into Salt Lake. Take the 5300 South Exit, toward the east. Go straight, cross State Street, then look for Hillcrest Junior High School on your right, just after the library. Hillcrest is about a 15-minute walk from the Murray Central Trax/Frontrunner station.
Parking is available in the 2 lots next to the school, however, these lots will fill quickly. Do not park at the library. There is additional parking conveniently located directly across the street, behind the hotel and next to the ice rink. A staircase leads from this parking lot down to 5300 South, where you can cross in a crosswalk. Student check-in is inside the main entrance to the school, which faces north.
There will be down time during the day, especially in the afternoon. Things to do nearby include Fashion Place Mall, Indoor Ice Skating at Salt Lake County Ice, and Murray Park. Bring board games, reading, movies, or video games. Or hop on the freeway to visit attractions such as Living Planet Aquarium (Draper), Gardner Village (Midvale), or downtown Salt Lake City.
National Contest: June 10-14, 2018
University of Maryland, College Park (Just inside the Washington, D.C., Beltway!)
For More Information: www.nhd.org