If you are a new library trustee, here you will find a lot of information to get you started on the right track. If you are a seasoned library board member, here you will find resources to help you become even more effective in your role as trustee.
- FREE WEBINARS: Library Campaign Training Institute, American Library Association’s Office for Library Advocacy.
- Part 1: Building your Base – Making the connection between program and services outreach and building a library’s base of support for advocacy. (July 14)
- Part 2: The Best Defense is a Good Offense – Provides participants with the knowledge needed to create a campaign plan, recruit volunteer leadership and detail responsibilities. (July 21)
- Part 3: Message, Marketing, & Media – Workshop walks participants through developing a campaign message using values and emotional branding, as well as using media to advance the message. (July 28)
- Part 4 +5: Connecting with YES Voters + Get out the Vote – Details the nuts and bolts of a library field operation including targeting through enhanced voter files, phone banking, social media, and voter tracking. The final portion brings the previous four sessions together with the ultimate goal of reaching “yes” voters and getting them to the polls. (Aug. 4)
- The Utah Public Library Trustee Manual 2016 (pdf) – Your best source of information for an overall coverage of trusteeship.
- Trustee Academy Courses – Online webinars produced by United for Libraries: The Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations. Access for Utah Trustees paid by the State Library. YOU MUST LOGIN BEFORE YOU CAN WATCH THE WEBINARS. For the login & password contact your library director or your State Library consultant.
- Trustee Basics, Part 1 (45 minutes)
- Trustee Basics, Part 2 (48 minutes)
- Advocating for Your Library (41 minutes)
- Evaluating the Library Director (40 minutes)
- Working Effectively with Your Library Trustees (48 minutes)
- Finding New board Members (pdf) – Recruiting document from Harford County Library (Maryland) that includes an outline of qualifications, sample questions asked of candidates, and a sample application for appointment.
- Advocacy is not the work of a season; it is the work of a generation – Archived webinar by Jamie LaRue, Douglas County Library. Learn how to tell a succinct, powerful story about the value of libraries. Based on OCLC’s “From Awareness to Funding” and the latest findings of brain research, this session focuses on turning the evidence of our daily patron encounters into short, compelling, and memorable messages that build support. Webinar brought to you by WebJunction
- Trustees On Track – This collection of eight videos, produced by the Utah State Library in 2009, features library trustees sharing their experiences and thoughts on topics that every library board faces.
- Trustee Trouble: The misadventures of a new library board member – Watch this series of short videos, laugh and learn along with Dan, a new library trustee, as he muddles through his first year on the library board. Brought to you by the Wyoming State Library.
- Utah Library Association’s Trustees and Friends Round Table – Maintains a list of monthly Training & Professional Development opportunities from around the country.
Tools for Trustees
- Advocacy Resources from United for Libraries
- Library Laws of Utah (Utah Code), Utah State Library
- Library Trustee Self-Evaluation (pdf), Utah State Library, 2009
- Keeping Public Libraries Public: A Checklist for Communities Considering Privatization of Public Libraries (pdf), American Library Association, 2011
- State Library Consultants – Our librarians can provide basic trustee orientation on various topics including: roles and responsibilities, library policy and procedures, library law, personnel issues, running a meeting, library advocacy, and strategic planning.
- LTA Policy Database – Searchable database of library policies compiled and maintained by the Library Trustees Association of New York State. You can use this information to search sample policies that you may customize and use in your library.
Statistics – Key Library Performance Measures
- Utah Public Library Statistics, Utah State Library
- Peer Comparison Tool, Institute of Museum and Library Services
- Trustees and Friends Round Table (TAFRT), Utah Library Association
- Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations (ALTAFF), American Library Association.