If you are a new library trustee, here you will find a lot of information to get you started on the right track. If you are a seasoned library board member, here you will find resources to help you become even more effective in your role as trustee.
UPCOMING WEBINAR: Toward Tech Savvy Trustees. January 26, 2017 (1-2 PM). This webinar, presented in collaboration with the Association for Rural & Small Libraries, explores strategies for building the digital literacy skills of your library trustees.
FREE ARCHIVED WEBINARS: Library Campaign Training Institute, American Library Association’s Office for Library Advocacy.
Part 1: Building your Base – (presented July 14, 2016). This workshop makes the connection between program and services outreach and building a library’s base of support for advocacy. This workshop details:
- Using recent research as well as preparing public service return on investment calculations.
- How to map a community.
- Options for program development – examples used are the Recreation market and local elected officials.
- Connection between customer service and advocacy.
- Use of social media.
- Managing data.
- Using volunteer messengers.
Part 2: The Best Defense is a Good Offense – (presented July 21, 2016). This workshop provides participants with the knowledge needed to:
- Create a campaign plan.
- Recruit volunteer leadership.
- Detail roles and responsibilities..
Part 3: Message, Marketing, & Media – (presented July 28, 2016). This workshop walks participants through:
- How to develop a campaign message using values and emotional branding.
- Integrating that message into campaign outreach.
- Public presentations.
- Using the media to advance the message.
Part 4 + 5: Connecting with YES Voters + Get out the Vote – (presented August 4, 2016). This workshop details the nuts and bolts of a library field operation including:
- Targeting through using enhanced voter files.
- Phone Banking/Direct Mail/Social Media/Email/Voter Tracking
This workshop brings the previous four together with the ultimate goal of reaching out to Yes voters and getting them to the polls.
- The Utah Public Library Trustee Manual (pdf) – Your best source of information for an overall coverage of trusteeship.
- Short Takes for Trustees – Brief online videos produced by United for Libraries: The Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations. These short videos (8-10 minutes each) can be shown during Trustee meetings to stimulate discussion about the important role that Trustees play in the governance of their libraries. Topics in the series explain the basics, such as what it means to be a Trustee (discussing the broad fiduciary responsibilities of governing boards as well as the limits of an advisory board), as well as how to set policy, how to evaluate the library director (and why you should!), along with board self evaluation, and the ethical and parliamentary standards for boards — both governing and advisory. Access for Utah Trustees is paid by the State Library. YOU MUST LOGIN BEFORE YOU CAN WATCH THE WEBINARS. For the login & password contact your library director or your State Library consultant.
- Trustee Academy Courses – Online webinars produced by United for Libraries: The Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations. Access for Utah Trustees is paid by the State Library. YOU MUST LOGIN BEFORE YOU CAN WATCH THE WEBINARS. For the login & password contact your library director or your State Library consultant.
- Trustee Competencies (33 minutes)
- Trustee Basics, Part 1 (45 minutes)
- Trustee Basics, Part 2 (48 minutes)
- Working Effectively with Your Library Director
- The Library’s Budget
- Advocating for Your Library (41 minutes)
- Evaluating the Library Director (40 minutes)
- Working Effectively with Your Library Trustees (48 minutes)
- Finding New board Members (pdf) – Recruiting document from Harford County Library (Maryland) that includes an outline of qualifications, sample questions asked of candidates, and a sample application for appointment.
- Advocacy is not the work of a season; it is the work of a generation – Archived webinar by Jamie LaRue, Douglas County Library. Learn how to tell a succinct, powerful story about the value of libraries. Based on OCLC’s “From Awareness to Funding” and the latest findings of brain research, this session focuses on turning the evidence of our daily patron encounters into short, compelling, and memorable messages that build support. Webinar brought to you by WebJunction
- Trustees On Track – This collection of eight videos, produced by the Utah State Library in 2009, features library trustees sharing their experiences and thoughts on topics that every library board faces.
- Trustee Trouble: The misadventures of a new library board member – Watch this series of short videos, laugh and learn along with Dan, a new library trustee, as he muddles through his first year on the library board. Brought to you by the Wyoming State Library.
- Utah Library Association’s Trustees and Friends Round Table – Maintains a list of monthly Training & Professional Development opportunities from around the country.
Tools for Trustees
- Advocacy Resources from United for Libraries
- Ethical Responsibilities for Fiduciary Boards
- Library Laws of Utah (Utah Code), Utah State Library
- Library Trustee Self-Evaluation (pdf), Utah State Library, 2009
- Keeping Public Libraries Public: A Checklist for Communities Considering Privatization of Public Libraries (pdf), American Library Association, 2011
- Sample Agenda Procedure for Library Board Meetings
- State Library Consultants – Our librarians can provide basic trustee orientation on various topics including: roles and responsibilities, library policy and procedures, library law, personnel issues, running a meeting, library advocacy, and strategic planning.
- LTA Policy Database – Searchable database of library policies compiled and maintained by the Library Trustees Association of New York State. You can use this information to search sample policies that you may customize and use in your library.
Statistics – Key Library Performance Measures
- Utah Public Library Statistics, Utah State Library
- Trustees and Friends Round Table (TAFRT), Utah Library Association
- Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations (ALTAFF), American Library Association.
For more information or assistance contact:Juan Tomás Lee
(801) 715-6769 or (800) 662-9150 (Utah toll-free)