If you are a new library trustee, here you will find a lot of information to get you started on the right track. If you are a seasoned library board member, here you will find resources to help you become even more effective in your role as trustee.
- The Utah Public Library Trustee Manual 2016 (pdf) – Your best source of information for an overall coverage of trusteeship.
- Utah Library Trustee Newsletter – Electronic newsletter with topics relevant for library board members and representatives from city councils and county commissions.
- Trustee Academy Courses – Online webinars produced by United for Libraries: The Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations. Access for Utah Trustees paid by the State Library. YOU MUST LOGIN BEFORE YOU CAN WATCH THE WEBINARS. For the login & password contact your library director or your State Library consultant.
- Trustee Basics, Part 1 (45 minutes)
- Trustee Basics, Part 2 (48 minutes)
- Advocating for Your Library (41 minutes)
- Advocacy is not the work of a season; it is the work of a generation – Archived webinar by Jamie LaRue, Douglas County Library. Learn how to tell a succinct, powerful story about the value of libraries. Based on OCLC’s “From Awareness to Funding” and the latest findings of brain research, this session focuses on turning the evidence of our daily patron encounters into short, compelling, and memorable messages that build support. Webinar brought to you by WebJunction
- Trustees On Track – This collection of eight videos, produced by the Utah State Library in 2009, features library trustees sharing their experiences and thoughts on topics that every library board faces.
- Trustee Trouble: The misadventures of a new library board member – Watch this series of short videos, laugh and learn along with Dan, a new library trustee, as he middles through his first year on the library board. Brought to you by the Wyoming State Library.
- Utah Library Association’s Trustees and Friends Round Table – Maintains a list of monthly Training & Professional Development opportunities from around the country.
Tools for Trustees
- Library Laws of Utah (Utah Code), Utah State Library
- Library Trustee Self-Evaluation (pdf), Utah State Library, 2009
- Keeping Public Libraries Public: A Checklist for Communities Considering Privatization of Public Libraries (pdf), American Library Association, 2011
- State Library Consultants – Our librarians can provide basic trustee orientation on various topics including: roles and responsibilities, library policy and procedures, library law, personnel issues, running a meeting, library advocacy, and strategic planning.
Statistics – Key Library Performance Measures
- Utah Public Library Statistics, Utah State Library
- Peer Comparison Tool, Institute of Museum and Library Services
- Trustees and Friends Round Table (TAFRT), Utah Library Association
- Association of Library Trustees, Advocates, Friends and Foundations (ALTAFF), American Library Association.