Historic Building Research
- Historic Properties in Utah
- Utah’s Historic Architecture Guide
- Utah’s Historic Architecture Book
- Research your Building
Historic Building Rehabilitation Information
Historic Building Research
Historic Building Rehabilitation Information
In October 2014, the Board of State History, for the Utah Division of State History, will review five (5) nominations to the National Register. These nominations are:
The Board of State History meets on October 17, 2014. These meetings are public. To view or print the meeting agenda, please visit the Board of State History on this web site. Please note: agenda for October 2014 may be delayed due to the production of the sixty-second annual Utah State History conference.
Check out the latest historic properties in Utah listed on the National Register of Historic Places: Moon House Complex, San Juan County; Ballard-Sego Coalmine Historic District; Myton Presbyterian Church, Myton, Duchesne County; Harold & Evelyn Burton House, Holladay; the Provo U.S. Post Office, Provo; River Heights Sinclair Station, River Heights, Cache County; and Shem Dam, Washington County.
Moon House Complex
San Juan County
Statement of Significance: The Moon House Complex in San Juan County, Utah, with a construction date beginning c.1240, is significant under Criterion A for its association with the Social History of the late Pueblo III period in the Western Mesa Verde area, Northern San Juan Basin region. This canyon site represents the only example of community level integration on Cedar Mesa, a significant event in Northern San Juan Basin prehistory prior to regional depopulation. Pristine architecture provides a well-preserved momentary or synchronic aspect of a small village site at abandonment, a critical period in northern Southwestern prehistory.
The Moon House Complex is also significant under criterion C in the areas of Architecture and Art for its representation of both Mesa Verde and Kayenta architectural styles, community planning and layout, and rock art. The site provides one of the finest examples of Puebloan architecture in southeastern Utah given its varied methods of construction, workmanship, and degree of preservation. The complex is also significant under criterion C under Art. The mural art depicted at the Moon House has been described as unique (Carr 2008), and represents a significant example of Pueblo III iconography. The Moon House Complex is significant under criterion D in the research areas of Community Planning and Development, Architecture, Prehistoric Archaeology, Art, Ethnic Heritage, and Religion. Specifically, the complex has the potential to provide significant additional information for addressing the development of late Pueblo III communities, the social dynamics of aggregation and abandonment, the role of kivas and public architecture, site layout and planning, architectural design and remodeling, agricultural intensification and storage architecture, ceremonial practices or religion, and archaeology. Architectural studies and ceramic analysis may provide significant information on regional relationships between the Western and Central Mesa Verde traditions and between the Mesa Verde and Kayenta Traditions of southwest Colorado and northern Arizona, respectively.
Furthermore, the site possesses integrity of location, design, setting, materials, workmanship, feeling, and association with an Ancestral Puebloan village site. Location, setting, and feeling are preserved within the Cedar Mesa Special Management Area, a primitive backcountry area set aside for its significant Ancestral Puebloan prehistory. Design, materials, and workmanship of the architecture and mural art remain nearly pristine from its protection within a canyon alcove setting. Unlike the ruins preserved at Mesa Verde National Park and elsewhere, the Moon House has never been subject to reconstruction or invasive preservation measures. Because it is nominated under several eligibility criteria, some of which possess thematic elements that represent prehistoric phenomena affecting a multi-state region of the Southwest Culture Area, the Moon House Complex is nominated at the national level of significance, with a period of significance dating from 1240-1270.
Read the full nomination:
Moon House Complex_Redacted
Ballard-Sego Coalmine Historic District
Statement of Significance: The Ballard-Sego Coal Mine Historic District in Grand County, Utah has statewide significance under Criterion A, B and D in the context of coal mining in the Intermountain West. It is a complex archaeological and architectural site that relates to and can provide information regarding exploration and development of extractive coal mines and mining townsites throughout the region. The Ballard-Sego Coal Mine was active between 1900 and 1954, the period of significance, with its primary period of productivity between 1912 and 1949, while it was served by the Thompson-Ballard railroad spur. The Ballard-Sego Coal Mine is one of only three Utah coal mines outside Carbon County, Utah. It is a pristine archaeological example of coal mining industrial and community development, as it existed only during coal mining operations and has not had additional development in the decades since the mine closed. The Ballard-Sego Coal Mine is significant under Criterion A for above and below ground remains of early twentieth century coal mining and associated mining operations. The mine is also significant under Criterion A for its exceptionally rare and unique mix of vernacular dugouts, single miner cabins and non-company housing as well as more typical company-constructed housing and commercial buildings. The Ballard-Sego Coal Mine is the both the best example in Utah, and only example outside Carbon County of such mixed construction. The Ballard-Sego Coal Mine is significant under Criterion A for its historically rich and diverse ethnic heritage. Like other coal mining towns in the region, the Ballard-Sego Coal Mine supported a large, segregated ethnic population, including a long-term Japanese community, unusual in the Intermountain Region. The Ballard-Sego Coal Mine is significant under Criterion B for its association with prominent regional rancher, merchant and explorer Henry (Harry) G. Ballard. Harry Ballard rose from an immigrant range-hand to become an explorer with the 1889-90 Robert Stanton Colorado River Survey and later an influential businessman and developer. Harry Ballard both founded the nearby town of Thompson’s Spring and patented and developed the Ballard-Sego Coal mine. The site is also significant under Criterion D for its potential ability to provide archaeological evidence of its rich physical and cultural history. Although it has few standing buildings, the Ballard-Sego Coal Mine is one of the best preserved early coal mining developments in Utah, with visible remnants of major coal mining features, roads, and vernacular and planned residential and commercial buildings. The identified archaeological artifacts are well preserved due to the site’s isolation and dry climate, and further exploration should yield an even better understanding of early 20th century coal mining operations in the Intermountain Region and the lives of miners and their families
Harold W. & Evelyn Burton House
Holladay, Salt Lake County
Statement of Significance: The Harold W. and Evelyn Burton House, constructed in 1923 in Holladay, Utah, is locally significant under Criterion B in the area of Architecture. The period of significance reflects the time that the Burtons occupied the house, 1923 through 1930. The house was designed by and was the primary residence for Harold W. Burton, his wife Evelyn, and their four children. Harold Burton was a prominent architect in Utah at the time. His wife, Evelyn, was active in developing Gilmer Park Subdivision, now listed as a part of the Gilmer Park Historic District. She was also one of the principal owners of that project. Burton’s firm, Pope & Burton, designed several significant and iconic buildings in Utah and the region during the time he lived in the house. Because of health reasons he moved to California in 1930 where he continued to design many temples and meetinghouses for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) in the U.S. and Canada during his prolific career. He ultimately moved back to Utah and became the Chief Supervising Architect for the LDS Church, so his influence is felt worldwide in the buildings he designed and projects he supervised. Although much of his work of importance continued after he moved from here, this house is the best preserved of his residences in Utah., the others having been impacted by a loss of historical integrity. For this reason, the Harold Burton House is significant and eligible for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places.
Read the full nomination:
UT_Salt Lake County_Harold & Evelyn Burton House
U.S. Post Office, Provo
Provo, Utah County
Statement of Significance: The U. S. Post Office qualifies for the National Register of Historic Places under Criterion C at the local level of significance. Its period of significance is its construction date, 1937, onto the date of its addition in 1966. Alterations are evident but kept this building a viable asset and the building has retained its architectural integrity.
For these reasons, the building remains integrity under Criterion C as the renovations it has undergone have maintained its distinctive character both on the interior and exterior, and the property continues to possess distinctive characteristics of the period and features prominent art in the conserved mural done under the WPA.
The rear addition to the building is very sympathetic in design, since particular attention was given to the use of materials and design that conform to the original plan and thus it does not make a significant impact. A single score line distinguishes old work from new. Minor decorative changes were only made to the main elevation for purposes of renaming, and in 2015 an accessibility ramp was added to the main elevation in compliance with the Architectural Barriers Act Accessibility Standard (ABAAS).
The building is a Provo landmark, designed by Joseph Nelson, a very distinguished Provo architect, utilizing the Public Works Administration Moderne style favored for public buildings in the 1930s, particularly those built under the aegis of the Supervising Architect’s Office, the Treasury Department. The subject building has a Works Progress Administration mural by Utah artist Everett Clark Thorpe that demonstrates the democratic intent of the Roosevelt administration to utilize federal funds to bring work to local artists and builders throughout the Great Depression years.
Read the full nomination:
UT_Utah County_US Post Office Provo
River Heights Sinclair Station
River Heights, Cache County
Statement of Significance: The River Heights Sinclair Station, built in 1950, is locally significant under Criterion A for its association with the development of River Heights, Utah in the mid-twentieth century. Under Criterion A in the area of Transportation, the building is significant as the only service station ever constructed in the small rural community of River Heights. The period of significance is
1950 to 1967 (fifty years ago). For the first fifteen years the service station was operated by Oral Stirland, who leased the building from long-term owners, Newell Lavon Fuhriman and his son, Newell Dean Fuhriman. It was later operated by Karl Bindrup between 1965 and 1975.
Oral Stirland’s Sinclair Station was primarily an automobile fuel and repair facility, but in the mid- 1960s Karl Bindrup provided additional services such as tractor, lawnmower and small engine
repairs. Bindrup’s Sinclair Station was a gathering spot. He stocked penny candy for the
children after the community’s only general store closed down. The Sinclair Station provided a vital service to the citizens of River Heights who, like most of America, had increased their reliance on the automobile after World War II. The service station was particularly important when the rainstorms overwhelmed the only bridge between River Heights and the larger city of Logan. During rising flood levels, having a local fuel stop was particularly important as the only alternate routes to work places, shopping centers, medical facilities, and the regional high school or state college in Logan were quite lengthy. As the only real commercial building in town, it was architecturally unique in contrast to the residential construction. After serving for decades as a service station, the building was later used as a boat shop and was used as a residence for a few years in the 1990s. The building is currently used as a studio by a local photographer. The River Heights Station is a contributing historic commercial resource in this small residential community.
Read the full nomination:
UT_Cache County_ River Heights Sinclair Station
Ivins Vicinity, Washington County
Statement of Significance: Shem Dam, located in Washington County, Utah, and constructed in 1934–1935, is historicallysignificant at the state level under Criteria A and C. It is significant under Criterion A in the area of Social History for its association with the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a federal program that gave jobs to thousands of unemployed young men in Utah during the Great Depression. CCC crews worked on diverse flood-control, erosion-control, and other conservation projects throughout the state, and Shem Dam is a monument to the accomplishments of the CCC
in Utah. The dam is significant under Criterion C in the area of Engineering because it embodies a distinctive method of construction developed by a Utah engineer for economical flood-control structures in a mountainous agricultural region. The period of significance for Shem Dam is 1934–1958, which begins with construction of the dam at Shem and ends the year the dam was repaired for a second time under Winsor’s supervision, following flood damage. A major flood in 2011 badly damaged the dam once again, prompting the Shem Dam Rehabilitation Project, an undertaking of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Service. Rehabilitation of the dam, completed in 2015, changed the design of the spillway by partially eliminating the original central arch design, but the massive abutments of the dam and the adjacent portions of the spillway retain their original design, materials, and appearance, giving the dam historic integrity.
Read the full nomination: This nomination is not available for publication
The National Register of Historic Places is the official federal list of properties that are significant in American history, architecture, archaeology, or engineering.
This is primarily an honorific designation intended to recognize important buildings, structures, and sites and to encourage their preservation. The following benefits and“restrictions” apply to National Register-listed properties.
Recognition: Owners may receive an official certificate of designation and purchase, through the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO), an official plaque that can be placed on the building. Both of these are optional. (See SHPO contact information below.)
Rehabilitation tax credits: The State Historic Preservation Office administers tax credit programs that can save building owners 20 percent of the cost of rehabilitating their National Register-listed buildings. There is a state income tax credit for residential buildings and a federal income tax credit for “income-producing” buildings (commercial or residential rental). Requirements include submitting a short application form and performing only work that meets appropriate rehab standards.
Grants: The very limited grants that might be available are usually channeled through local historic
preservation commissions. Keep in mind, however, that in most instances, grants are not readily available, or if they are the grant amounts are quite small (usually less than $5,000).
Loans: The Utah Heritage Foundation, a statewide non-profit organization, administers loan programs for historic buildings. See the UHF website for details or call 801/533-0858.
Building code leniency: Officially designated historic buildings may not have to comply with all building code requirements. Chapter 34 of both the Uniform Building Code and the International Building Code and chapters 4-6 of the Uniform Code for Building Conservation provide direction for local building officials in accommodating some of the non-code-complying features of older buildings.
Local zoning variance: Most communities have provisions that allow designated historic buildings to be used for purposes other than what the zone otherwise requires (e.g. a bed-and-breakfast in a historic home in a residential neighborhood). The choice of alternative uses is usually limited in order to protect the neighbors from radically incompatible uses, but several reasonable options are allowed.
Property values: National Register listing can be a catalyst for increasing property values. placeeconomicspub2002 on this by an expert in the economics of historic preservation. (PDF)
Contrary to some rumors, there are no restrictions associated with National Register listing. Owners do not have to open their buildings to the public, nor do they need anyone’s approval for anything they do to their buildings.
National Register listing does not affect the property taxes or how the buildings may be used.
Local preservation ordinances, where present, may have some implication for buildings listed on local registers, but the local register process is entirely separate from the National Register process.
Most cities in Utah do not impose restrictions on historic building owners. Those that do usually limit their control to the exterior.
Contact your local planning department to see what, if any, rules may apply to local historic register designation.
300 S. Rio Grande Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84101
National Register website: www.cr.nps.gov/nr/index.htm