Tag Archives: shpo

Find an Archaeological Consultant

When looking for an archaeological consultant, you should ask yourselves two things:

1) Is this firm or person qualified?
2) Do they have the necessary permits?

Find consultants with permits

Since people with the necessary permits are also often qualified, it’s often worth starting there.  Here are the guidelines on permits:

State:  A person who does work on state-owned land needs a state permit.  People with state permits can be found listed on this website: http://publiclands.utah.gov/archaeology/

Federal: Federal law requires that work on federal land be done by qualified people. Federal agencies such as the BLM or Forest Service maintain their own list of permitted contractors. You should contact these agencies directly.

Try a consultant list

Another possible source for finding qualified consultants is the American Cultural Resources Association. See http://acra-crm.org/ for a list. A consultant on this site may not be qualified or permitted to do all work in all places, though. We recommend checking in detail with consultants directly regarding their experience and qualifications.


At the end of the day, we recommend that people treat a cultural resources contractor with the same care they treat any other contractor/consultant. It’s always good to shop around, get multiple bids, check references, and do careful homework to find a person who can do the work to your needs and satisfaction, at a competitive price.

Legal Authority


The Antiquities Section of the Utah Division of State History was created by the legislature to be the “authority of the state for the protection and orderly development of archaeological and anthropological resources.”

The Antiquities Section is given responsibility to:

  • promote research, study, and activities in the field of antiquities;
  • assist with the marking, protection, and preservation of sites;
  • assist with the collection, preservation, and administration of specimens until they are placed in a repository or curation facility;
  • provide advice on the protection and orderly development of archaeological resources and in doing so confer with the Public Lands Policy Coordinating Office if requested;
  • assist with the proper care of ancient human remains as authorized by Subsection 76-9-704(3) and federal law;
  • collect and administer site survey and excavation records;
  • edit and publish antiquities records

Utah State Antiquities Act (UCA 9-8-301 – 308) and the implementing regulations as codified in R212-4. Ancient Human Remains

Native American Grave Protection and Repatriation 9-9-401402403404405406

Cultural Sites Protection 76-6-901902903

Abuse or Desecration of a Dead Human Body 76-9-704

Archaeological Vandalism Statutes 76-6-90176-6-90276-6-903

Need a Letter from the SHPO?

The letter you need is required by federal or state law. Under these laws, each federal and state agency (or any agency using federal funds) is required to “take into account” cultural resources in its projects and activities.

“Taking into account” cultural resources–like historic structures or archaeological sites– requires specific steps. Read an overview of the process (on the Advisory Council on Historic Preservation website).

After you have made a determination about cultural resources, you must give the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) the opportunity to comment. This comment letter is the letter you need.

Get more specifics on requirements for projects that may affect historic sites.

Get more specifics on requirements for projects that may affect archaeological resources.

SHPO Compliance

e106 Submission System Now Live!

As of November 27, 2017, the Utah State Historic Preservation Office has gone digital. All paper submissions will now be handled through an online platform, termed e106. This system is built upon a Salesforce Platform foundation. This system is only for agency use, no consultants should use this system unless there is pre-authorization through the SHPO or under the FCC Programmatic Agreement. Standards do apply, so please follow the links below to the Archaeological Records standards and also the Historic Buildings Standards.

Please visit the following link to see a public viewer of cases being reviewed, or if you are agency, follow the instructions to register for submissions: community.utah.gov/e106

Laws are in place to make sure that federal and state projects don’t carelessly destroy cultural resources.

Agencies’ Responsibilities

State and federal agencies that undertake projects must “take into account” how their project activities will affect historic and archaeological resources.

List of Agency Contacts in Utah, as of 4/21/2017

Common projects include construction, rehabilitation, demolition, licensing, permitting, or transfer of public lands.

Do you need to hire a consultant?

Do you need to find a curation facility?

Archaeological Compliance Guidance – a document summarizing Utah standards

SHPO’s Role

The State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) provides guidance to agencies and governments who are affected by these laws.

Each month we review about 200 development projects and their potential effects on archaeological and historical sites. We comment on projects within 30 days and provide accurate data and professional consultation.

I just need a letter from the SHPO

Federal law summary(Section 106) A review of the laws that apply to any land development project involving federal funds.

State law summary (Utah Code Annotated 9-8-404) A review of laws that apply to projects using state funds.

Historic structures—specifics  What you need to know if your project may affect historic structures.

Archaeological resources—specifics What you need to know if your project may affect archaeological resources.

Public comment How you can provide input on projects. 

Memorandum of Agreement & Programmatic Agreement Archive

National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) 2017 Public Notice


For projects that are disturbing the ground or may affect archaeological resources:
Chris Merritt
300 S. Rio Grande Street
Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
Phone: 801-245-7263
Fax: 801-533-3503


Elizabeth Hora-Cook
300 S. Rio Grande Street
Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
Phone: 801-245-7241
Fax: 801-533-3503

For projects affecting historic structures:
Chris Hansen
300 S. Rio Grande Street
Salt Lake City, Utah  84101
Phone: 801-245-7239
Fax: 801-533-3503

For UDOT-related projects affecting historic structures:
Cory Jensen
300 S. Rio Grande Street
Salt Lake City, Utah  84101
Phone: 801-245-7242
Fax: 801-533-3503

Not sure whom to contact?
Contact any of the above individuals and we will work to get you going in the right direction.

Historic Buildings


Culmer PleasantGroveBank

Building Information

Financial Incentives


DixieStatePark SpragueLibrary

SHPO Compliance

Historic Building Database


Roger Roper  Program manager 801-245-7251
Alena Franco  CLG Grants and outreach 801-245-7233
Chris Hansen  Sections 106 and 404 compliance 801-245-7239
Cory Jensen  National Register and architectural survey 801-245-7242
Amber Anderson  Tax credits 801-245-7277